Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the normal body temp for a dog. My dog's mouth

Customer Question
mucousa seems very hot, he...
What is the normal body temp for a dog. My dog's mouth mucousa seems very hot, he is restless and panting and seems to want to stay right on top of me. He had a little diarrhea yesterday. He did not sleep through the night and has not participated in any ohysical activity today. He is a 3.5 year old Swinford Bandogge which is a Mastiff hybrid. He weighs appx 130 lbs.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

A normal rectal temperature for a dog is approximately 100-102.5F

CriticalCareVet :

If higher than 103, often that is considered a true fever.

CriticalCareVet :

A true rectal temperature is often needed, not just feeling their body.

CriticalCareVet :

Unless you take the temperature to say this is a true fever, it may not be.

Your temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit .

Their normal temperature is 100-102.5...

What this means...it is very normal for them to feel warmer as their normal temperature as compared to yours is warmer

CriticalCareVet :

If he is restless with diarrhea, he may have a gastroenteritis or colitis.

CriticalCareVet :

Therapies to consider include:

1) Starting a bland diet.

One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE)

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

2) Antacids for stomach upset (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg), every 24 hours or once daily.)
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg), every 8 to 12 hours.)

CriticalCareVet :

But if the signs worsen or there is a true fever, best to have this evaluated by your vet before the signs have a chance to worsen.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist