Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Lab has 12 puppies that are 24 days old. She has diarrhea

Customer Question
and vomiting 2 days ago...
My Lab has 12 puppies that are 24 days old. She has diarrhea and vomiting 2 days ago and then was normal the rest of the day and yesterday. She has vomited 5 times in the pst 2 hours. Now there is only yellowish liquid and no more food like the first 3 times. I have not changed her food and I also have two other adult dogs in my house that eat the same thing and are not sick. She does go outside, but she stays in the backyard with the other dogs. I know I should keep food and water away to help rid her of this, but should I also keep her from nursing?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

The concern here - is dehydration.

CriticalCareVet :

The stress of nursing is great.

CriticalCareVet :

Sometimes in these cases, even if the cause is just an upset stomach, it is hard to give them medications by mouth as they can vomit that back up before it has a chance to be absorbed and work.

For this reason, if the vomiting continues, sometimes even a short veterinary visit, subcutaneous fluids for hydration and injections for nausea can be enough to stop the cycle of vomiting, help them feel better, and then give you a chance to continue oral medications at home and supportive care to help resolve the issue.

CriticalCareVet :

If you do elect to stop nursing - make sure you are prepared with puppy milk replacer and bottles.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

Can I give her some Pepto-Bismol?

No - that would not be ideal / recommended with nursing puppies.

Otherwise - please remember to leave feedback and credit the post.

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Please leave feedback and credit the post -

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

So, if I let her nurse and she continues to vomit...she could get dehydrated?
Yes - that is the concern discussed above.

I don't have bottles or replacement milk, can you recommend what I should use for the puppies?
Puppy Milk replacer from the pet store

Please leave feedback and credit the post - This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist