Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Can my dog have anti-diarrheal pills (composition Loperamide

Can my dog have anti-diarrheal pills (composition Loperamide Hydrochloride) to help curb his diarrhea? Will it help? If so, he weighs 66#, how many can he take?

(We were at the vet's this afternoon and he has had some tests. We'll know more after his bloodwork is back on Monday. We just want to make it through the week-end. He won't take the Pepto Bismol she recommended.
Thanks.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

How bad is the diarrhea, soft served ice cream or explosive? Any blood or mucus within or coating the feces?

dogdoc4u :

To answer your question I tend to avoid loperamide if I can because it can have detrimental effects on some pets. If needed, you can give 1 mg (1/2 tablet). I try to only give it once and monitor for resolution of the diarrhea for the next 12 hours but it can be repeated at 12 hours if needed

Customer:
dogdoc4u :

Sorry, there is no response with your pressing enter

dogdoc4u :

I have been having difficulty with justanswer this evening so if I do not see a response in the next few minutes I am going to change formats to make it easier for you to respond...

Customer:

Hi, sorry for the delay. I have been sitting at my computer with a message saying "transmitting" and just went to get my money back. Thanks for replying. Diarrhea is very loose...like melting soft serve ice cream. No blood, some mucus. He's sleeping now. Maybe I should wait until morning before taking a chance? Is there anything else around the house that might help....or should I try to force the Pepto Bismol. Thanks.

dogdoc4u :

Yes, that sounds like a plan to wait

dogdoc4u :

In the meanwhile adding white rice to the mix to help firm things up

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. We'll see his vet on Monday. Just needed some help on getting through the night.