Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Mites in my dog's ear - Is there anything I can do?

Customer Question
Is there anything I can...

Is there anything I can do for mites in my dogs ear?

Symptoms:

- itching at ear,

- tipping head in direction of bad ear,

- will cry if you try to look inside

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/8/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Ear infections are most commonly caused by yeast and bacteria in dogs. Some dogs will get ear mites, but it's not as common. There are over the counter ear mite medications you can find at Petsmart, Petco, or possibly Walmart, but they don't seem to work nearly as well as the medications used at veterinary clinics. Again, mites may not even be the problem. To find the underlying cause, ear cytology needs to be done at your veterinarian's. From there, the appropriate treatment can be started. If this is not possible for you to do, you can try over the counter ear mite medication (but it may not help). You can also try a 50:50 mixture of distilled water and vinegar to clean the ears once a day. There's not really any other medication you can use, until you know the underlying cause of the ear problem.

You can read a good article on ear infections (otitis externa) in dogs HERE.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian