Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog is having seizure like symptoms but do not think it

Customer Question
is a seizure. She...
Our dog is having seizure like symptoms but do not think it is a seizure. She was clicking her jaw, having trouble breathing, Looks like her tongue is swollen and her body seems to have gone stiff. Seemed to have a fever we got it down with a cold bath. The clicking/chattering of the jaw has stopped but she is still stiff and wont relax, also still has swollen tongue. her breathing it only a touch better.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian

Dr.Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sounds like your little girl is quite ill. Has she had all of her vaccinations?

Dr.Barbara :

I'm asking this because her symptoms could indicate distemper.

Customer:

When we got her they provided us with self vaccination records including a 5way. we got her when she was 4wks pregnant she now has a litter that is 7wks old all of the puppies are health and have been seen by our vet. This came on very sudden.

Dr.Barbara :

If she has been seen by your vet then this is probably not the case although jaw chomping is pretty indicative of this. Just as an aside, all dogs need to have 2 DHLPP's or 5way 3-4 weeks apart with the last vaccination after 14 weeks of age. Has she also had a rabies vaccination?

Customer:

Yes she has her rabies and is heartworm neg. She was recently exposed to kennel cough but but we have handled many dogs with kennel cough and this does not seem to fit.

Dr.Barbara :

Moving on. . .having a swollen tongue is very unusual. . .an allergic reaction to something she had in her mouth could cause this, but her face would most likely be swollen too. She is the age for dogs to develop epilepsy, but seizures should only last a few minutes. High fevers can also lead to seizures as well has brain infections. Has she been sick very long?

Dr.Barbara :

Are her gums pink?

Dr.Barbara :

And,no, this is not kennel cough.

Customer:

They are purpleish

Dr.Barbara :

This is definitely an emergency then as she is not getting enough oxygen. She needs to see a veterinarian there immediately for emergency care. Depending upon where you are there may be 24 hour clinics with vets on duty 24/7, or your own veterinary clinic should have a veterinarian on duty that can be paged.

Dr.Barbara :

In this case, just call the regular number and you'll be prompted as to what to do.

Customer:

thank you.

Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian