Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How much Durvet Penicillin Injectable do you give to a dog

Customer Question
that weighs about 70 lbs?...
How much Durvet Penicillin Injectable do you give to a dog that weighs about 70 lbs?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/25/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello.

What are you looking to treat with the Penicillin?

What is the strength (mg/mL or IU/mL) of the Penicillin?
he has a cut on his front leg and is very, very red and up and down his whole let. the strength of the Penicillin is 300,000 per ml.
Ok.

Usually we use Penicillin at 10,000 IU/ lb (20,000 IU/kg) every 1-3 days for skin infections. It is given under the skin.

That would be 70,000 IU in your dog or 0.7 mL.

Usually we would use oral Cephalexin for something like this and local therapy- clip the hair from around the wound and flush out any pus. Topical antibiotics like Neosporin once daily as well can help.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian