CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog pants all the time, although she is an inside dog.

my dog pants all the time, although she is an inside dog. She is approximately 9 years old, med. size.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

1) When did this start/

CriticalCareVet :

2) Does she have any past medical history?

CriticalCareVet :

3) Known heart murmur?

CriticalCareVet :

4) Does she tire easily with activity?

Customer:

Started within the last month. No past medical problems or heart murmur. Doesn't seem to tire easily with activity

CriticalCareVet :

Does she pant at rest, even when lying down?

CriticalCareVet :

In a cool environment?

Customer:

yes

CriticalCareVet :

Here are some thoughts:

CriticalCareVet :

In general, dogs pant primarily to regulate their body temperature (to get rid of heat) - unlike people, they really do not sweat...so panting is their primary way of getting rid of heat.

Although that would be the primary, and physiologic reason for this behavior, there may be certain problems that cause this abnormally
- Problems with the lungs (pneumonia, fluid, even tumors)
- Heart abnormalities (murmur, arrhythmia, or even heart failure)
- Pain or anxiety
- Endocrine disease (Cushing's Disease) where the body produces to many steroids
- Sometimes even diabetic dogs pant more than usual.

If you feel your dog is panting at rest, at time that you would not expect, I would recommend seeing your vet.

A good examination listening to the heart and lungs is essential. Another test that may be very helpful would be x-rays of the chest looking at the heart and lungs.

Many causes, some life threatening, can be easily ruled-out by a good examination and simple x-rays.

Customer:

OK, thanks.

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.