Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year old lab has a lump above his penis in the stomach

Customer Question
area and 3 days ago...
My 9 year old lab has a lump above his penis in the stomach area and 3 days ago he was wimpering for a few seconds and would not walk.Could you please let me know what it might be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/25/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is the lump hard or soft?

CriticalCareVet :

Painful to the touch?

CriticalCareVet :

Growing in size or changing in shape?

Customer:

not very large and not painful to touch

CriticalCareVet :

Unfortunately - sometimes these are very hard to diagnose by touch, feel, or even location.

It may be from trauma, and just a bruise - but in an older dog - especially if either not resolving or growing - what is considered in these cases - to determine what the growth is (benign growth vs. cancerous mass) would be to have your veterinarian perform a procedure called a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate).

A FNA procedure is quite simple with minimal risks. Usually without any sedation at all (and no anesthesia), a small needle is inserted into the lump and then cells and fluid are aspirated into the syringe, then pushed onto a slide.

The slide is examined under the microscope either by your veterinarian, or if you elect, by a board certified clinical pathologist. The goal would be for them to tell you what the cells are, and therefore, what the mass is. Is it benign or malignant? And would surgery then be indicated.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have additional questions!

Customer:

sorry i had to go get thte dog

CriticalCareVet :

Ok!

Customer:

ok well i guess i will take him in .! year ago he had a in his mouth and i had it removed and the pathologist said it was limpfoma and it turned out to be wrong.could it be it is in his growing area now

Customer:

lump

CriticalCareVet :

A lipoma would be a great diagnosis - just a benign growth!

Customer:

would it cause him pain to go pee

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - it can depending on the location

Customer:

in that area could something like that be removed

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - certainly can.

Customer:

ok thanks so if it dose not bother him should i just keep an eye on it or get him in asap

CriticalCareVet :

While not a true emergency, with lumps - better safe and get them tested when possible.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

by clicking accept i wont be charged more will i

CriticalCareVet :

Correct - NO additional charge.

Customer:

ok thanks

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist