Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps hacking somewhat like a hairball. This has been going on occasionally for tw

My dog keeps hacking somewhat...
My dog keeps hacking somewhat like a hairball. This has been going on occasionally for two days as if something is tickling her throat. What do I do. Schitzu.
4/8/2012
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is the cough a deep, goose honking cough?

CriticalCareVet :

Is there discharge from the nose?

Customer:

no

CriticalCareVet :

Can you describe the signs more?

Customer:

not really, she hacks maybe every couple hours for 20 secs or so the goose honking is somewhat the sound

CriticalCareVet :

Ok - thank you.

CriticalCareVet :

The more likely causes at this age for the signs would not include a hairball.

CriticalCareVet :

They would incude:

CriticalCareVet :

*include:

CriticalCareVet :

Bronchitis
Allergic airway disease
Heart enlargement
Tracheal collapse
Infectious causes of acute bronchitis
Kennel Cough

CriticalCareVet :

With that said, if the signs persist or worsen, a check-up with your veterinarian is ideal.

They may recommend x-rays to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia and also to listen to the heart and look at the heart on the x-rays with the lungs.

If there is a concern for infection, antibiotics will likely be prescribed.

For congestion, many owners find humidification helpful. This is achieved with a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower - this will allow humidification and help to moisten the airways for mucous breakdown and to improve congestion.

Customer:

she was at a vet less than two weeks ago for basic checkup and shots(parvo and rabies) all was good we have two other dogs and they are fine however I do have a granddaughter with colds

CriticalCareVet :

Typically diseases from people to pets are not seen, but can not be ruled out completely

Customer:

is peroxide a bad idea

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - it would be

Customer:

thank you for your help

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist