Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My german shepard has had loose stool since I have had him

Customer Question
1.5 years after trying Royal...
My german shepard has had loose stool since I have had him 1.5 years after trying Royal
Canine, Candid (sp) Since those did not work he has been on Sengergy from Dick Van Patten line. he is good for week or so the diareha. It seems serperation anxtiey is part of the problem. He also eats grass like cow large amounts then barfs it up. The only snack he
gets milk bone Can you help
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/6/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Levi.
This must be frustrating for both of you.
Is he feeling well?
Is he gaining weight and growing appropriately?
Do his stools ever look greasy?

Dr Kara :

You are astute to realize that stress (separation anxiety) can play a part in bowel health and stool consistency.

Dr Kara :

Has he had any sort of testing done?
I would recommend a stool culture as well as thorough testing for parasites and likely the use of a broad spectrum wormer to start.
Then because he's a shepherd and their prediposition to some particular gastrointestinal problems I would check a complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a blood test for pancreatic function called a TLI. This measures the amount of pancreatic digestive enzymes. If not high enough it is a common reason for chronic or intermittant diarrhea.

Dr Kara :

Shepherds are also prone to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth so a course of antibiotics for 10 days may be very helpful.

Dr Kara :

Is there ever blood or mucous in his stools?
You've had him on a few good foods. But it is possible that he has food allergies/sensitivities.
So if bloodwork looks normal and the antibiotic therapy isn't successful then I would recommend a true hypoallergenic diet such as Purina Veterinary Diets HA or Hills z/d. He will need to eat this only (no treats or flavored medication/rawhides/bones) for at least 8 to 12 weeks to see a full effect.

Customer:

He has gained a little weight he is probaly 5 pounds over ideal. His stool does come out shiny even when its firm

Dr Kara :

Thanks very much, that likely means that either he has a low grade level of pancreatic insufficiency (which is likely to worsen with time as the pancreas fails further) or his colon is producing increased amounts of mucous which means it is irritated.
I would definitely recommend a TLI blood test to check for pancreatic insufficiency.
If that's the case adding digestive enzymes will help tremendously.

Dr Kara :

If his biochemistry profile and TLI are normal and he doesn't improve with a good worming medication (liek Panacur or Fenbendazole) then I would try dietary manipulation.
He may have inflammatory bowel disease.

Dr Kara :

That is definitely worsened by stress.

Customer:

thank you I will get those test started he did have the stool checked about year and pray

Dr Kara :

Sounds good. I will keep my fingers crossed for him.
I have had 2 dogs with inflammatory bowel disease (part of the reason I got them as no one else wanted to deal with chronic loose stools) and it can be successfully managed. Diet is key though.

Customer:

I will make a appt Levi thanks for your info there been no blood in stool thanks

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave our conversation prematurely my computer shut itself down.
Please feel free to reply with any further questions you may have.
Glad to hear that there has been no blood that means that the irritation is still mild at this point, which is very good.
Best of luck with Levi, I hope your veterinarian can pin this down a bit better for you with testing and get him on the right track.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian