Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps licking his back paw. It looks red but I can't…

Customer Question
My dog keeps licking his...
My dog keeps licking his back paw. It looks red but I can't tell if there is something there. He also seems a bit lethargic and not as hypher. I have to help him get on my bed as well.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Veterinarian101 :

Hi

Veterinarian101 :

I am an experienced veterinarian and happy to help.

Veterinarian101 :

If your dog is licking their paw then this indicates that is it sore or irritated.

Veterinarian101 :

It may be a condition called pododermatitis which is inflammation of the foot

Veterinarian101 :

or it could be a foreign body e.g. grass seed in the paw. These can be hard to find.

Veterinarian101 :

Is your dog lame on the foot or holding it up when walking?

Customer:

He can walk but with a slight limp. He is usually running around the house a lot but is not. Sterling was at the kennel for a week and just came home on Friday and I noticed this late Friday - early Saturday.

Customer:

He is sleeping a lot but I can only assume that he did not rest at the kennel because of the other dogs. He is used to being by himself all day when I am at work. He is also spoiled rotten,

Veterinarian101 :

Spoiled rotten - lol

Veterinarian101 :

He could have injured a claw/nail in the kennels too.

Veterinarian101 :

Can your feel each of the nails. Wiggle them?

Veterinarian101 :

How does he react?

Customer:

He pulls his paw back when I touch it. It is red. I tried looking in between his paws but could not find anything but I am usually useless for medical things. And yes....he is spoiled and acts like a puppy so when he is not getting on my nerves I worry!

Veterinarian101 :

I am concerned that he may have a damaged nail or a severe pododermatitis.

Veterinarian101 :

Are you able to get to a vet?

Customer:

The vet does not work on Sundays. Is this an emergency situation? Would I need to take him to an animal hospital?

Veterinarian101 :

Is he eating ok? Any vomit/diarrhea?

Customer:

No. He ate yesterday and drank water (not as much as usual).

Customer:

No vomit but it did sound as if he was going to vomit earlier this morning.

Veterinarian101 :

Ok

Veterinarian101 :

It does not sound urgent. But I would get your vet to look at it when they next open

Customer:

Should I keep putting neosporin or a something else on him in the meantime. I was thinking of cleaning his paws with water and dog shampoo, or as with humans epson salt??

Veterinarian101 :

Try dipping the foot in a warm salty water. Teaspoon of salt and cup of warm water.

Veterinarian101 :

Then the neosporin

Customer:

OK Thanks.

Veterinarian101 :

twice daily

Veterinarian101 :

Can I help any further?

Customer:

I think I will survive now. Thanks.

Veterinarian101 :

Happy to help

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian