Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I give claritin or zyrtec to my dogs for allergies. They

are between 8 and 12...
Can I give claritin or zyrtec to my dogs for allergies. They are between 8 and 12 pounds
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2012
Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning your pets.

Dr. John :

We haven't used these newer allergy drugs too much in pets - they do appear to be pretty safe but again we just don't have a lot of experiencing using them as we do with older allergy medications such as Benadryl or atrazine (hydroxyzine)

Dr. John :

So I can give you the dose for them, but feel like the safest choices would be atarax (sorry called it atrazine before) or benadryl

Dr. John :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes thank you

Customer:

I would like to try, I know alot of people give their pets styroid shots

Dr. John :

Yes, steroid shots long term are no good!

Customer:

Is weight an issue for zytec

Dr. John :

A better long term option is use of anti-histamines and sometimes an immuno-modulator drug (like a steroid but much safer) such as Atopica

Dr. John :

We can also give allergy shots to pets as people get

Dr. John :

Which drug would you like to try first, the benadryl?

Customer:

I'm trying to save money

Customer:

What is hydroxzine

Dr. John :

Atarax, I'm not sure if it is OTC or not, I always dispense to my patients...

Customer:

what is atopica

Dr. John :

Atopica is a dog specific allergy drug, although it is fairly expensive

Customer:

anyway to convert it to human terminoligy

Customer:

and is that a nasal spray

Dr. John :

No, they are all pills

Customer:

ok what is the human version of a anti-histamine

Dr. John :

They are all human versions that I listed. We don't have any pet specific anti-histamines

Dr. John :

The only pet specific thing I listed is Atopica

Dr. John :

Which is essentially cyclosporine

Customer:

I would like to try a allergy deterant like claritan or Zyrtec

Dr. John :

The dose that has been recommended for claritin in small dogs is 5mg by mouth every 12 hours as needed

Dr. John :

You should always speak with your regular veterinarian (who has a history with your pets) before starting any medication

Dr. John :

As this is off-label use

Customer:

Thank you I will

Dr. John :

You are welcome, good luck with the itching!

Dr. John :

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
ACCEPT" button when you are satisfied with the answer. This will ensure that I am compensated for helping you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated. You will be able to refer back to our discussion after hitting accept.

Understand that the purpose of this communication is to guide you in making informed decisions for your pet with recommendations of diagnostics and treatments that you can discuss with your veterinarian, as a patient-client relationship has not been established on the site (this requires a physical examination).

You can always request me through my profile (Dr. John) if you would like further assistance in the future with your pets.

Customer:

Thanks I will..Have a great day Dr. John.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John