Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Terrier: play with toys..lays down..mix..his food or else he wont eat…

I have a SCwheaton Terrier...
I have a SCwheaton Terrier, who is quite spoiled.When he was a puppy he would play with toys now he doesn't. I go to work 2 days a week sometimes 8 to 10 hours a day., when I come home I spend a few minutes with him and then I eat and watch television. he goes in the other room and lays down. He gets about 8 treats a day and I have to mix give give him his treats something in his food or else he won't eat. He is on a diet because he is heavy but I still give hiom the treats. He wants to go outside and will lay there and watch what going on and barks. I use to take him to a daycare but he got bit by another dog and so I quite taking him there. He did have an open sore. When I take him for a walk or to the park another dog might come up to him and sniff him and at first he is fine then all of sudden he will snap. I just don" know what to do I want him to be happy. He will not back down from any dog . One day I was walking him and a small terrier ran up to him and snapped at him. He is usually taken to a park to run once a day . He has been to 2 behavior classes and 1 time he snapped at the dog next to him. Help!!!!
3/12/2012
Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Jenn :

HI there

Dr. Jenn :

How old is your dog?

Customer:

He is 7 years old

MyPetAdvocate
How old is your dog?
Hi, sorry for the delay. Have you had you Wheaton evaluated by a trainer/behaviorist? It often can take more than a couple classes, to help work on this type of behavior. Working with the right trainer and being consistent and patient in a positive and structured environment can help improve this behavior.
HE HAS BEEN TO 16 WEEKS WITH TWO DIFFERENT TRAINERS. LIKE i SAID AT ONE CLASS HE TRIED TO SNIP THE DOG NEXT TO HIM
Has he been evaluated by a behaviorist, which can be different than a trainer. Also does he have any pain anywhere, in hips or back. Sometimes if they are uncomfortable some where, that can make them cranky, or somewhat reactive. Has he been to a Vet to be examined for other physical problems.?
he sees a vet on a reguilar basis aand more if nothing more than to be weighed
ok. I understand you have done a lot to modify this behavior. Perhaps talk to some different trainers and behaviorists. Get a feel of them. Some may be better suited for you than others. Some may have a different technique or plan to work with him and you. You are doing the right things as far as getting his weight down, and going to classes. Do you get out much for leash walks with him?
At least once a day except during winter. I usually take him for at least a half hour to 45 minutes a day

Continue to increase his exercise where possible, and be sure he is on a well balanced quality diet. I hope I have it least given you things to consider, and I hope you continue his training. And interview other trainers and behaviorists that are available to you to get some other assistance with him. Let me know if I can help any other way, and Good Luck. I hope I was a bit helpful to you.

MyPetAdvocate
Relist: Other.
I have had two days for an answer and a couple vet's are my questions hard to answer. Is someone afraid to tell me the full answer. Here again I would like to know why my dog is snapping at other dogs. Am I wong on his diet. Why does he only come to me for food I have never treated him wrong. These are questions I would like answered. Do you think he needs a companion he is 7 years old would it be to difficult to do? I am not unsatisfied with any one help .

HI, you need to pair up with a good trainer that can help you with this. It seems as though it is behavioral. Where as training and behavior modification paired with more exercise and a balanced diet is key. I am not sure what you are feeding him. The fact that he only comes to you for food, means he just that. You need to learn together, how to work together, and have him be obedient and look toward you for input. That will also help with him around other dogs. A lot of us feed and love our dogs, but they require more to be balanced mentally as well. You really need to find a trainer that you feel comfortable with and that is effective with working with you and your dog. And continue to work with him as you learn how at home.