Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is vomiting dark green bile, drinks but throws it right

Customer Question
back up. we live...
my dog is vomiting dark green bile, drinks but throws it right back up. we live in the country and the dog eats just about anything, can't afford emergency vet and stomach seems bloated
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/4/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

How often is the vomiting?

CriticalCareVet :

What color are the gums?

Customer:

she vomits each time she drinks, she is not "lapping" up water, but acts like she is biting the water and "scooping" it up.

Customer:

I was not able to see your questions yesterday. I am at work right now and can't look at her gums, but I can get a friend to go to the house and let me know.

Customer:

I will keep checking back to see if you have responded.

With this degree of vomiting - if you are able to see the veterinarian, that would be best - as an x-ray can make us feel much better - noting that this would not be a blockage - and then if not a blockage - we can feel much better about treating stomach upset (gastritis or a gastroenteritis).

Sometimes in these cases, even if the cause is just an upset stomach, it is hard to give them medications by mouth as they can vomit that back up before it has a chance to be absorbed and work.

For this reason, if the vomiting continues, sometimes even a short veterinary visit, subcutaneous fluids for hydration and injections for nausea can be enough to stop the cycle of vomiting, help them feel better, and then give you a chance to continue oral medications at home and supportive care to help resolve the issue.

Regardless - when this happens, for an upset stomach - often we choose medications to settle the stomach and help with the discomfort.

For you now, at home - you should remove food and water for 12-24 hours.

If the vomiting stops - considerations would then be:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE).

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

Other considerations include:

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

3) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

4) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE or LINK HERE

But again - if this is not getting better, or you are noticing loss of appetite, lethargy, continued vomiting, worse signs of discomfort - or blood in the stool - those would be indications to see your veterinarian for evaluation.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you - or you have other questions.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.
I suspect that she has eaten something (my husband saw her chewing on a piece of what looked like wood) and that is what is causing this. can you give a dog miralax or is there something similiar that I could give her to move her bowels? I have not seen her have a bowel movement over the weekend, but I have not stayed outside with her the entire time she was out. I cannot afford x-rays at the vet and would like to try and treat her at home.
Miralax would not be used in a case such as this.
Please click the "

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
i have already offered her chicken and she would not accept it, I will try that again tomorrow after withholding food/water for today. I will try the other items you suggested. Thank you and I will update tomorrow or this evening if anything changes. Why wouldn't we want to try miralax if is safe for dogs?
It can make it worse especially a blockage
Ok, thank you.
.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist