Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there over the counter nausea medicine for dogs?

Customer Question
Is there over the counter...

Is there over the counter nausea medicine for dogs? A Hx mass of cell cancer was removed from its thigh but not all could be removed. Former vet misdiagnosed ring worm as bacterial and it was then thought related to cancer.

Ring worm became so ridiculous, he has been miserable. This is my daughter's 3 year pit bull. Now, after two weeks of treating the ring worm, he can't keep food down. She wants to know if there is anything you can give a dog for nausea safely.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/3/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago
CVT_in_MN

How long has he been nauseated?

How are they treating the ringworm?

Spray provided by new vet, pharmaseb, broad spectrum anti-fungal, leave on spray for at least two weeks.

The dog has not really eaten, barely drinking or eating and vomiting since Thursday with any intake.

Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions.

With a topical spray, I wouldn't expect to see him reacting after two weeks of being on it...however, there is clearly something going on with him. Unfortunately, there is no over-the-counter anti-nausea medication that you can give to a dog (or a human, for that matter). The best thing to do would be to give his regular vet a call and see if they'll script something like Zofran or Reglan out to a human pharmacy where you could go pick it up.

If your vet is unable or unwilling to do that, then you may want to take him in to an emergency vet so they can get him on an IV to correct any fluid losses he's having from not drinking and from vomiting, and may want to give him an injectable antiemetic (anti-nausea) medication to help him feel less nauseated.

I'm sorry that he's feeling so poorly...I hope he starts feeling better soon.

I have access to Promethazine 25 mg pills but not Reglan. Will that work?

Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago

Legally, because we don't have a real life relationship with your dog, we can't prescribe any medications but I wanted to point you in the right direction, so I checked out the Merck Veterinary Manual online to the Promethazine dose for your dog.

This is what I found: "Overdoses may result in CNS depression or excitation. CNS depression was reported in a dog 30 min after ingesting 1 mg/kg of promethazine."

Because of that, I would NOT give Promethazine to a dog who is already lethargic and not eating. It could make things very much worse by adding to the CNS (central nervous system - the part that controls things like breathing and heartbeat) depression.

In short..it could suppress the CNS to a point that it's fatal. You can read more here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/214004.htm

I know that you want to do what's best for your daughter's dog, but I would not give the Phenergran/Promethazine.

Got it. Think we will try Pepcid AC, since she has NO access to medical help right now. Can we give the dog anything for discomfort? Pit Bull, not the largest build. How many mg/kg?

Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago

Plain baby aspirin can be given for pain.1 pill once every 12 hours and not longer than 2 days without talking to the vet. You should try to give it with a little food though, because it tends to upset the stomach if the stomach is empty.

Since his stomach is so bad, I am concerned about the aspirin a bit.

Also, my daughter does not have any aspirin at home. She does have Tylenol. Is that appropriate?

Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago

No. Products that contain ibuprofen or acetaminophen, as well as Naproxen sodium can all be very toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. If she doesn't have any aspirin, there is no other over-the-counter option to give him for pain.

CVT_in_MN

OK... I have done some more research. Very confusing about acetaminophen. Another vet recommended Tylenol, so that seems to be controversial within your specialty. Since I would prefer to be safer, will will give it one try with the aspirin in some wet food.

We will go with Famotidine 0.5mg per kg unless you have a better suggestion in the absence of pharmacy, immediate vet care options, and limited finances... unless you have caution there as well. Torque was dosed Prednisone recently for all the skin issues, and I suspect his stomach to be another issue, hopefully, not related to the cancer.

Dog Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN,
 replied 6 years ago

Hi again~

Yes, you're right...it is pretty big debate about using acetaminophen. Some think it's okay, and some don't. I've seen some horrible overdoses, so I stay away from it.

I think the Famotidne is a good option for tonight.

Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.