Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My weiner dog is having problems seeing vet said tunnel vision

Customer Question
coming on so fast is...
My weiner dog is having problems seeing vet said tunnel vision coming on so fast is this normal only six months and now can't see is there really anything we can do or is it something he'll have to live with?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2012
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 5 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

What tests were done on the eyes to determine if there is a cause for this?

CriticalCareVet :

Do the eyes LOOK grossly normal to you?

CriticalCareVet :

Pupils? Lens of the eye? Redness? Discharge?

Customer:

No test just shined flash light in front and sides of eyes, little glossy but nornal to me, sometimes redness sometimes discharged

CriticalCareVet :

Ok -this needs further evaluation.

CriticalCareVet :

I am going to list thoughts for you to consider - so we can determine WHY this is happening

CriticalCareVet :

Once we know WHY - then we can determine if we can help...

Customer:

Are you waiting on me or an I waiting on you?

CriticalCareVet :

Can you see what is above?

When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if the tear production is normal (Schirmer - LINK HERE)
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein - LINK HERE)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma (LINK HERE)
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

That will help determine if there is an infection of the cornea or ulcer of the cornea, if there is a dry eye tear formation problem (LINK HERE), and importantly to rule out glaucoma.

If further information is needed, most veterinarians will refer you to an eye specialist (LINK HERE)

This is because they are trained in this specialty and have special equipment, such as a slit lamp to get a much better look in the eye.

Based on those tests, we can have a very clear understanding of the eye abnormality and know how we can treat this well and effectively.
So what is tunnel vision and is there anything to cure this
This was not diagnosed as no tests were done - if you want to know really why there is vision impairment - tests are needed as listed above.
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist