Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

can i give my dog lorazepam .5 mg?

Customer Question

can i give my dog lorazepam .5 mg?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

My lab mix (90 lbs) is freaking out. We have a lot of wind today. I have a prescription for lorazepam .5mg, can i give him any?

Dr. Loretta :

This medication is used in dogs for anxiety issues but since it is a controlled drug, you will have to have your vet examine your dog to see if this medication is required...this is required by law...what is wrong that your dog would need this?

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

he is panting, crawling under furniture, crawling up on me. I have a torn rotator cuff and am scheduled for surgery on the 8th, I am in pain myself and cannot have him pushing one me and crawling up on me.

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

okay, so you left, so glad I just paid $18 for nothing, great.

Dr. Loretta :

No worries, I am here...

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

are you a real vet or just someone answering posts

Dr. Loretta :

It does appear that your guy is anxious about something and this may be related to your condition which changes the environment in the house.....

Dr. Loretta :

Yes, I am a licensed veterinarian....

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

yes, he is a big time mamma boy

JACUSTOMER-m0mbrq6g- :

he knows I'm in pain and injured

Dr. Loretta :

Call your vet and explain the situation....there are other medications that would be better for this situation. the dose of this is 0.5 mg per kg of your dog's weight but since this is a prescription medication, you are required to have a physical exam by law.