Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is suddenly acting very scared. Has lasted about 1.5

Customer Question
My dog is suddenly acting...
My dog is suddenly acting very scared. Has lasted about 1.5 hours. He is hiding under the bed, in the closet, does not want to be out in the open. Very unusual behavior for him.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/24/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Did anything happen tonight that might have scared Wicket? Any loud noises, thunder, fireworks, car alarm, were you gone, was he outside by himself?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is his GME under control?

Customer:

Customer:

No, tonight has been a very normal night. My husband says that when he let Wicket outside earlier tonight, Wicket was running around like he was looking for something, though.

Customer:

Hi GME has been well-controlled since he was diagnosed about 3 years ago

Customer:

He has monthly chemo and takes pednisone and thyrozine

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, so I don't think it is related to that.

Customer:

sorry- prednisone

Customer:

he is usually a very laid back, cuddly dog. Tonight he just wont come out from under the bed. I suppose he could just be spooked, but it is such odd behavior.

Customer:

And he is acting like he wants to be protected from something- he doesn't want to be out in the open.

Dr. Scarlett :

At this point I would guess that something (unknown to you) freaked him out somehow. If he was outside running around, he might have been stung by an insect or pricked by a branch or something and that might have scared him. Our first instinct when we see our dog acting oddly is to try and comfort him. But in the case of a scared dog, that can be the wrong thing to do. If we start comforting him or talking in higher tones, the dog will think something is really wrong and just act more scared.

Dr. Scarlett :

So I would just leave him be for now. Put out a few treats and then just leave the room. Act like nothing is out of the ordinary and go about your regular routine.

Customer:

Ok. That makes sense. So you don't think that there is a medical reason why I should be concerned then?

Dr. Scarlett :

As long as he isn't in any obvious distress, such as limping, vomiting, diarrhea, urinating, etc, I would just give him some time and some space. But if he is still acting odd tomorrow, I would take him to your regular vet. If he is showing other clinical signs tonight, then I might take him to an emergency vet.

Customer:

Ok, great. Thank you for your help, Dr. Scarlett. Have a good night.

Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian