Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Experience:  Small animal vet - practicing since 2004
6310252

My toy poodle is crying, whimpering. She has been trying to

My toy poodle is crying, whimpering. She has been trying to lick at her rear end and somethimes jumps toward it suddenly as if it is hurting her. We just returned from a trip to Louisiana swamps, where she could have gotten into something rotten, I'm not sure. She is not drinking or eating normally.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

Look at her rectal area - any swelling or redness or discharge? It's very likely that Becky needs her anal glands expressed, or she has an anal gland infection, abscess or impaction. Below is a link for information on a dog's anal glands. Anal gland issues can cause her to bite and lick at her rear end, and feel poorly, such as a decreased appetite.

Dr. Deb :

This is something that can wait until tomorrow, rather than have her seen on emergency tonight.

Dr. Deb :

But, if this is keeping her up, restless, aggitated, having her seen tonight would relieve her discomfort.

Customer:

O. K. We hadn't thought of that. We'll give it a try. Thanks!

Dr. Deb :

You are welcome

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...