Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

will apple cider vinegar help with my dogs yeast infection? do

Customer Question
will apple cider vinegar help...
will apple cider vinegar help with my dogs yeast infection?
do i feed it to her or apply it to her skin?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2012
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

What type of yeast infection is present and where at ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and how has it been treated previously ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Typically -- yeast infections are secondary and due to another probelm

Customer:

her ears and paws. she has not been treated

Customer:

her groomer made me aware

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- Considering the sites that are affected -- I am wondering if there may be an allergic issue as a primary problem. Typically -- allergies in dog -- atoptic dermatitis -- will show up as redness with itching at the paws -- and also ear infections are common as well .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Then yeast and or bacteria will be able to set up housekeeping and infect the areas --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Apple cider vinegar is used 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water as a rinse on skin and in ears to prevent yeast infections (as it changes the pH)

Customer:

ok. her ears are stinky and she is constantly picking them

Customer:

is her diet make a differance

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ear infections can be just in the ear canal -- but if this has been goin on for any time - there can be probelms that extend to the middle ear. And the ear drum may not be intact -- and these cases should not have vinegar placed in them. So a vet visit to have the ear drum visiulized would be the best thing to do . Then after it is treated, you could use the vinegar mix to prevent further infections.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I'm sorry --- I do not understand the last comment regarding diet ...

Dr. BJ Hughes :

.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Atopy in dogs can be caused by 1 ) flea saliva (only takes one bite) 2) food ingredients (often grains or protein sources) or environmental things (pollen, dust, molds, etc etc )

Customer:

will her diet make a difference

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may need to look at a combintion of things to control this -- and diet could be part of it --

Customer:

i think i will take her to the vet i think it pretty bad

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It all depends on whether she is allergic to food ingredients or not

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That is probably the right thing to do -- and you may find that a food trial on a no-grain, unusual protein food (such as blue buffalo taste of the wild) , along with anthistamines (with occasional low dose short term prednisone usage) may be necessary -- to keep this under control long term

Customer:

ok thank you so much!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian