Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a lump on her chest. What can it be?

My dog has a lump...
My dog has a lump on her chest?
1/27/2012
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How long ago did you first notice this lump?

Has it grown larger since you first noticed it?

Is it on top of the skin or under the skin?

Is it firm or soft?

Is it freely movable or fixed in one spot?

We notice it 2 months ago. No it hasn't grown. It's under the skin. It's soft and movable. It like a ball.
Thanks. Does it feel kind of squishy, like fat?
Kinda squishy.. It's not hard
Thanks for the information. Most likely, you are seeing a lipoma, which is a benign deposition of fat. It is also called a fatty tumor. It is very commonly seen in dogs as they age. They typically don't cause any problems, unless they grow large enough to impede movement, which is not very common. With that being said, it is always recommended to have your vet aspirate it just in case. There are some cancerous tumors that can mimic lipomas, such as mast cell tumors. It is not a very common presentation, but it is possible. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
It can't be a cyst? Does the vet remove it?
A cyst is possible, but if it feels like a lump of fat, it is most likely a lipoma. A cyst would feel more fluid filled, like a water balloon. If your vet does aspirate it, though, they should be able to extract fluid from a cyst. From a lipoma, they will only get fat cells. The vet can remove this mass if you would like. Most of my clients will opt to monitor it, but I do mention that the smaller it is, the easier it is to remove. Hope this helps.
So its prob not cancer/tumor?
From your description, it sounds more like a lipoma than a cancerous tumor. Cancerous tumors tend to be more firm and fixed. Like I said, though, it is always a good idea to have your vet aspirate it for microscopic examination. 99.9% of the time, though, these type of masses are lipomas.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Ok, I will take my dog to the vet. Thank you so much! :)
You are very welcome. Good luck!!!
My dog eye is shut close and when I try opening it green stuff comes out

Hello, again. My suspicion is that there is an ulceration and subsequent infection on the cornea. Shutting the eye closed is usually a reaction to pain. Your vet will need to numb the eye and stain it to look for an ulcer. If superficial, it should heal up with no problems with a topical antibiotic eye ointment. If deep, it may require oral antibiotics as well. Pain medications will most likely be needed in either case. I would have her seen tomorrow for this. If it is an ulcer, the sooner it is treated, the better the prognosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Can it just be irritation?
It is unlikely to just be irritation. You don't get that much of a pain response and greenish discharge with just irritation. It would most likely just be red with smaller degrees of discharge. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian