petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog keeps sticking his tongue in and out in a rapid fasion

My dog keeps sticking his tongue in and out in a rapid fasion with some drooling (uncommon for him). I inspected his teeth and noticed that one of his front teeth has turned a greyish brown, this is a relatively new development as we've had his teeth checked in the last few weeks. Are these relatd? What else could be causing him to stick his tongue in and out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 years ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr Z :

Have you looked for any other signs of trauma inside of his mouth?

Dr Z :

Is he still eating and drinking normally?

Customer:

Yes, none are apparent other thatn the disclored tooth

Dr Z :

A discolored tooth usually means that hemorrhage has occured under the enamal and blood has leaked into the the little tubules within the dentin of the tooth. This is most commonly due to something like a hard blow to the tooth or even biting on something hard.

Customer:

I just noticed that my oprional info is all incorrect. He's a first generation labradoodle, age 9.

Customer:

Could this be caused by chewing on a nyla bone?

Dr Z :

A discolored tooth does not always mean the tooth is dead or non-vital, but it can turn into a non-vital tooth over time. If so, we then either need to extract or perform a root canal if we want to save the tooth.

Dr Z :

A sign that there could be an root tip abscess is if it becomes painful.

Dr Z :

His drooling and tongue action is a probable sign of pain.

Dr Z :

I would definitely have this checked out by your veterinarian. He will need to take a dental xray to evaluate the vitality of the tooth.

Dr Z :

And then you can discuss if a root canal or extraction is the best option if needed.

Customer:

I assume if the tooth became abscessed/painful it would impact the way he eats or drinks, which we haven't seen any evidence of the that. We will take him to a vet to make sure

Dr Z :

Most pets I see with painful teeth are still eating and drinking and the only signs of their discomfort can be vague like the droolong and licking that he is doing.

Dr Z :

Many owners wouldn't even notice it. Of course, there could be other reasons for his symptoms, but with the recent occurrance of the discolored tooth, the two are very likely related.

Customer:

Would touching the tooth/gum are to check fro senstitivity be a good idea? He's very good about allowing us to inspect him.

Dr Z :

It is not always that obvious even with a manual exam. Think about the last time you had a toothache. It is a dull pain in the jaw that hurts when you bite down, but not always when you touch the tooth or gum.

Dr Z :

I am going to switch us out of chat mode and into Q and A mode. We can still reply up and back as needed.