Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

I think my dog ate rat poison; uncertain of how much but seemed like one or a few broken p

I think my dog ate rat poison; uncertain of how much but seemed like one or a few broken pieces of a larger block. Time of ingestion; 1-hour earlier. Dog is 65 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide at home?

Do you know what type of rat poison that he ingested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, but it was in the shape of an elongated block with a hole in the center and ribs down the sides. I can find hydrogen peroxide at the pharmacy.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Ok - depending on how long it will take you to get hydrogen peroxide, the rat poison may already be absorbing into his system. Some rat poisons can take a few days before they have an effect on a dog. Without knowing how much he ate, we are going to be unable to determine if the amount he ate is going to be toxic or not. He may not have eaten enough to be toxic, but rat poison can be very harmful if he did. Therefore, the best thing that you can do at this point would be to consider taking him to a veterinarian to get some help with making him vomit and possible have a procedure called gastric lavage performed to remove any more of the rat poison. They can also give him a medication called activated charcoal to reduce the toxic effect also.

THe most important part will be to start him on a supplement called Vitamin K. Many rat poisons cause bleeding by limiting the effect of Vitamin K therefore by supplementing him with extra vitamin K the effects can usually be prevented. The amount of Vitamin K that you need for him can only be obtained by a veterinarian.

Overall if you can find out what type of rat poison this was, the vet will be able to know what blood tests to recommend and what antidote can be given if possible. If you need help finding an emergency hospital please let me know.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.