Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog is gagging, like he has a hair ball. he has been doing

my dog is gagging, like he has a hair ball. he has been doing this for 2 days. he hasn't thrown up anything, and is acting normal otherwise. what can I do for him?
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, dog park, etc. in the last week or so?
2- Any nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No to both questions
The most common cause for the symptoms that you are describing is a common respiratory infection called "kennel cough." This is caused by viruses and bacterias, often we have to place them on oral antibiotics. Other possible causes could be a collapsing trachea, underlying heart disease and less likely a foreign body.
I would have him checked by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/4-1/2 teaspoon every 6 hours, you can find this over the counter in any pharmacy.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter