Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog usually can't wait to eat in the morning but this…

Customer Question
My dog usually can't wait...
My dog usually can't wait to eat in the morning but this morning was moving slow and did not want to eat anything. She has had a little water. The only thing that I gave her lastnight that was different was a mint flavored rawhide chip...she has always liked plain ones and has never had any problems. Please help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2011
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 6 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Have you noticed any other changes such as vomiting or diarrhea?

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
You seem to be offline right now.

With your history, this would support a mild gastroenteritis.

Therapies to consider include:

1) Starting a bland diet.

One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE)

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Antacids for stomach upset (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE

Hopefully this is just more of an upset stomach (gastroenteritis) and will resolve with a little supportive care and time.

I hope this information helps!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
Hi there,

Can you see this information? I would like to help you!