Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female yorkie is limping on her front left paw. I dont see

Customer Question
anything in it and she...
My female yorkie is limping on her front left paw. I dont see anything in it and she isnt whining but she wont let me touch her outmost toe. she doesnt really act like its hurting her but i know its bugging her what should i do... I havent had her nails cut in a few months also...
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 5 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
My primary concerns for a limp on a front leg/paw include:
1. Having stepped on something that no longer remains.
2. Hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. insect bite or sting)
3. Hyperextension injury (like bending your wrist back too far)
4. A soft tissue injury (like sprain or straining your wrist or ankle)
5. Fracture, especially in the digits of the paw
6. In older pets, I always think about exacerbating arthritis (common for the elbow).

The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is an adult pill, extra strength, etc…
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour before hand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

But, you may need to get into the vet for examination and possible x-ray.
Definitely, no running, jumping, or being off-leash outside until resolved since we don't know if there is a fracture.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

it seems to be only affecting her one toe. it seems a little swollen right around the nail bed..
Okay.
That could suggest a fractured nail at the nail base AND a nail bed infection!

You could apply a little topical hydrocortisone.
You could still try aspirin

But, it now sounds more like the need for a veterinary examination as the nail could be traumatized or oral antibiotics may be needed.

Good Luck

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative.
My family greatly appreciates it. Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Should i take her to an emergency vet or just tomorrow?
Tough call.
If she is trying to lick the paw or she is limping a lot on the leg, I would vote for examination today! I do not doubt the toe is quite uncomfortable.

How much asprin is safe for her.. she weighs like 5-8 pounds
Well, at 10mg per pound, that's about 50-80mg. I would start lower at 50mg.
So, shoot for about 50mg. That means, you'll need children's liquid or tablets to dose that small.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director