Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has swollen salivary glands on both sides of her face. She is a 3 year old beagle.

Customer Question
My dog has swollen salivary...
My dog has swollen salivary glands on both sides of her face. She is a 3 year old beagle. She has had a biopsy and there is no cancer (it took unitl the biopsy to identify that it was the salivary glands and not lymph nodes). She was on antibiotics for about a month, with no effect. She seems normal other than the swelling.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 5 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
I am sorry to hear about June. Well, you answered a VERY IMPORTANT question, and that is they are truly salivary glands that are enlarged and not the submandibular lymph nodes.

My first suspicion would be that you are dealing with salivary mucoceles!

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/salivary-mucocele-in-dogs/page1.aspx

They can take several weeks to treat, and a lot of trauma and swelling results from leaking of salivary glands.

I would recommend continuing an antibiotic from your vet and absolutely ask for a non-steroidal or steroidal anti-inflammatory. An anti-inflammatory may help a great deal and could reduce some of that swelling!

Good Luck. That's my best guess but a very reasonable possible explanation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

I did forget to mention that we tried an antiinflamatory. We were on a low grade antibiotic for several weeks then went up to were on baytril and clavamox for three more. After the first week when the swelling varied alot there was no change from any of the treatments. There has been no worsening in the three weeks since we stopped all meds.

The article mentions draining, but with high recurrence. What is the consequence of no action since she seems ok otherwise?

I would be more inclined to take no action. Unless we were convinced that draining was indicated, I would not do it.

However, I would try more anti-inflammatory. Maybe even ask your vet for a few weeks course of a tapering dose of prednisone. It is worth a try.

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative.
My family greatly appreciates it. Thank you XXXXX

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director