CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Hi, My dog has suddenly developed a back leg spasm. Her

Customer Question

My dog has suddenly developed a back leg spasm. Her Left back/rear leg kicks out behind her involuntarily. So far I have seen this happen intermittently when she is awake, standing, sitting or lying down. I have only noticed this today.

She is a stray, approximately 2.5 years old and we adopted from an animal shelter in the middle east. (She was found emaciated in the desert and had already had puppies by the age of 1-1.5 years). She has had a bit of a swaggered/drunken gait in her back legs since we've had her. We have taken her to the vet a couple of months ago to find out about her funny gait, they carried out some checks on her back legs and said they couldn't feel anything wrong with her hips, however they suggested we would probably need to have some xrays done to see for definite if there was some hip abnormality.

I am starting to think now that there may be some neurological condition behind her funny back leg gait that has now led to this back leg spasm? Then again maybe its a trapped nerve, really not sure. She is alert, eating well, and is still chasing about the house, its just this back leg keeps kicking out behind her which I can see is now starting to irritate her a bit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

The first step here is an examination, orthopedic and neurological as well as hip x-rays to evaluate the hips.

If that is normal, and the signs continue or worsen, then it would be a good idea to make an appointment with a neurologist for evaluation.

If you can video an episode, even with a cell phone camera - that can help the veterinarian as often they do not have an episode and you are stuck trying to describe an episode to the neurologist.

I hope this information is helpful!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping you could give me a little more information regarding possible causes/conditions of the symptoms I explained and possible treatment options...?

I have mentioned in my question that she has already had a physical orthopaedic examination at the vet and will need to have xrays carried out to evaluate the hips and I guess it goes without saying if it is a neurological condition then I will need to see a neurologist.

What I really need is some guidance on what the most likely possible causes could be? Hope you can help.

Thanks
Without an examination - a specific diagnosis is not possible./

- Petit mal seizure
- Sciatic pain
- Thoracolumbar spinal pain?

really there are many variables that we need on examination to localize a lesion

- Hip pain
- Spinal pain
- Conscious proprioception
- Reflexes
- Withdrawl
- Panniculus

This is why an examiation, a good examination, is needed.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.