ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

My dog has these black spots on his stomach. They are like

My dog has these black spots on his stomach. They are like black circles, and there is a crusty
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help!

These are called epidermal collarettes and are caused by a bacterial infection in the skin which then causes inflammation, leading to pigmentation of the skin and the crusty lesion that you see. Here is a picture of a mild lesion, probably not quite as pigmented as the one you are seeing: click here

If these are isolated to the abdomen only, washing the area daily with chlorhexidine shampoo can sometimes clear this up. An example of this shampoo can be found here: click here

I would bathe him daily for 5 days (you can just wash the affected area but leave it on for 5-10 minutes) then 3 times weekly for 2 weeks.

If that doesn't stop these from developing, you may need to get him on oral antibiotics.