Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

The top of my dachshund's nose is swollen. She is breathing

Customer Question
okay and did not react...
The top of my dachshund's nose is swollen. She is breathing okay and did not react negatively when touched. The swelling occurred in the last couple hours.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Hi there,

This is most likely an allergic reaction. Of course it is always difficult to know what caused it. Stings are a possibility or something she ate. You can try Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. If she does have any trouble with her breathing or gets worse in any way then you would need to take her to your vet or ER for injectable medication.
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian