Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has severe congestion in his nose. It is stopped up

Customer Question
and affecting his breathing and...
My dog has severe congestion in his nose. It is stopped up and affecting his breathing and is snoring very loudly when he sleeps. He's been on several allergy pills and several different types of antibiotics but his problem has not gotten better. Is there anything I can do for him? I bought a humidifier but that's not helping much.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answe.r

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How big is your dog?

Customer:

HI!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Have any other antihistamines besides benedryl been tried?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

or other medicatons?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and which antibiotics and for how long?

Customer:

No, I was nervous to try out human medicine on him. I did buy children's Allegra but haven't given it to him. I read it might be toxic to dogs. I only gave him one Benedryl (25mg) so maybe he should have two?

Customer:

He just finished another round of cefpodoxime and is still on chlorpheniramine maleate when needed but nothing is helping. I also need to mention that he has his k-9 tooth removed due to an infection that was causing non-stop drainage out of one nostril but that has stopped about 1 month ago. Now he's just so congested and gets the drainage stuck in his throat.

Customer:

He's also tried diphenhydramine. Didn't help

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How big is your dog?

Customer:

55 lbs - he's a heeler/hound mix

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok --I will give you a link to information on antihistamines that are used for allergies in dogs --

Customer:

Thanks. Is there something I can do for him at home like a vaporizer, etc? The humidifier isn't really helping.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

the dosage for benedryl is on this -- keep in mind the dosages are given in mg per kg. One kg is 2.2 pounds -- so basically divide the dosage in half and multiply by the weight in pounds for the full dosage.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Benedryl is commonly used -- as is chlorampheniramine -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

both need to be at the correct dosage --

Customer:

Should I try the Children's Allegra or just up the dosage on benedryl?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There are also nasal sprays -- such as Fluticasone (human med for allergies) that are steroid nasal sprays. These are very helpful if this is a allergic rhinitis --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I would up the dosage of benedryl - and if this is not helping after 8 hours -- you can consider a change.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. He was on a nasal spray a while back but it didn't help. I think it was just a concoction my vet made on his own so I'll ask him about Fluticasone.

Customer:

Thank you for your help! I

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian