Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My 15 year old dachshund is suddenly having trouble walking.

My 15 year old dachshund is suddenly having trouble walking. She seems ok and then collapses then walks some more. Her appetite have been less at times recently, her litter mate and brother died about 3 months ago, but she doesn't seem depressed. She had this problem about a month ago (to a lesser degree) and recovered quickly. she is also now more incontinent (past few days). Because of her age, with my vet's help, I have decided against paying a lot of money for future tests and surgery. How can I help her?

Re: terms, I don't understand all the fine print, but am willing to pay $18 for advice. Do lyou bill $18 for answering and more if I like the answer? I don't understand. Please explain briefly. Thank you for responding. I would appreciate information and support for my little dog, Carmie.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

The $18 fee covers the entire advice session. Basically you ask a question, the $18 is a deposit that is in your account, after I give you an answer you can click on accept and then the money get transferred to Just Answer from your account. There are no extra charges unless you have any additional questions about different topics.

I will help you until your question is completely answered.

First I just wanted to ask you some additional questions to allow myself to give you the best answer.

Is Carmie dragging her back legs?

Does she seem painful in her back?

What treatment was given to her when she had this problem previously?

Is she having any seizures?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the clarity.

It seems to usually be her back legs that splay to the side,but she doesn't drag them like they are staying paralyzed, but it's also the front, too. Her head was hitting the food dish intermittently as if she has had a mini-seizure (split second...not lasting). When I held her, it felt more like intermittent convulsion or maybe that was one of the little seizures. Her back doesn't seem to cause her pain. She is not crying or whining. or whimpering. When she had this problem before, it went away overnight. She is now resting beside me in her bed, not trying to walk around as she was before.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the clarity.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

If her front and back legs are having issues and she is displaying possible mini seizures, the most likely problem would be a disorder in her brain or brain stem area. The episode a month ago definitely could be related. The most common disorders in her brain area that could cause all of these symptoms are:

-An infection around the brain tissue
-An inflammatory disease such as encephalitis
-A brain tumor
-Tick diseases
-A metabolic disorder such as liver, kidney, or blood sugar disorders

As you can see from the list, most of these disorders are not great news. At this time, my first recommendation would be to have some bloodwork checked and make sure that she does not have any metabolic disease that is causing this. Unfortunately, a brain tumor is the most common of everything on the list. If the blood work is normal then you may want to talk to your vet about possible considering a cortiasone medication to see if this will help to shrink down a possible brain tumor to relieve the symptoms that she is showing.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.