Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

do female dogs still go into heat after they have been spayed?

do female dogs still go into heat after they have been spayed? My daughter says yes I said I had never heard of this happening.
Could a procedure for this not been done completely right?
Our female yearling that my daughter raised from a 6 day old pup
was spayed by the ASPCA some time ago but still occasionaly has ome kind of periodic discharge.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. What kind of discharge is she having and how often does it occur? How long does it last?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure of how often this occurs but it seems to be accompanied by a strong sort of fishy smell

Is the discharge bloody and is it from her vulva?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't observed this myself but my wife said there was blood and seems to be discharged from her vaginal opening
Thank you for the information. The spay surgery involves removing the uterus and both ovaries. With removal of the ovaries the hormones that cause the heat cycle are also remove. Therefore, after spaying a dog should not go into heat at all. It is possible for a dog to have ovarian tissue left in after the spay by accident or to even have ovarian tissue in the abdomen that was not in the normal place (that is extremely rare). The next time the discharge occurs then have her checked by a vet so that your vet can observe what is going on and determine whether some testing has to be done to find out if some ovarian tissue remains. If she is having heat cycles then another surgery is needed. If you have more questions please reply back.