Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

how do i kill fleas on 2week old puppies

11/6/2011
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

You can use Adam's flea spray on that young of a pup. You should be able to find it at a pet store. I would spray it on a cotton ball and then wipe the pups down with the cotton ball. You can also use it on mom. Be sure to wash the bedding of mom and the pups frequently to keep killing the fleas in the towels. Physically removing the fleas with a flea comb is very helpful, too. This will probably work best on mom.

Dr. Scarlett :

I would also ask your vet if he/she carries Comfortis. This is an oral medication that kills fleas. It may not be approved for use in lactating dogs (or just not tested on them, so not on the label), but would be an option if the flea infestation is bad. Frontline or Advantage is also not labeled for use in lactating moms, but again, if the flea infestation were bad, it might be worth the small risk to the pups.

Dr. Scarlett :

Puppies can die from anemia due to fleas sucking their blood, so it is very important to eradicate the fleas as much as you possibly can.

Customer:

is it very expensive? what can i use if they dont have it? i lost half her las tlitter from worms aswell as fleas do you know if their is a treatment that covers both

Dr. Scarlett :

Adam's flea spray shouldn't be very expensive and it is over the counter. You need to start deworming mom and the pups with pyrantel pamoate (Strongid T), starting at 3 weeks of age. If you've had problems before with fleas and intestinal worms, I would highly recommend you talk with your vet and get mom treated before you breed her again.

Customer:

mum and dad both get treated on a regular basis should i worry about worms or just concentrate on fleas dont want to bury pups again this time round

Dr. Scarlett :

I would get rid of the fleas first, then deworm everyone next week. Give the pups Strongid every 2 weeks--that will get rid of roundworms, which are the most common intestinal worms in puppies. Treat mom as well.

Dr. Scarlett :

What kind of dogs are they?

Customer:

both parents are kelpie cross the father has a touch of mastiff in him both are grea with my hree kidsmy local pet shop sells puppy worm syrup that can be used from two weeks of age do you think thay would have th estuff for fleas

Dr. Scarlett :

I would think they should. Adam's contains pyrethrins, so if they don't have Adams, ask the sales clerk for something similar. The Adam's bottle says "for puppies", so make sure a comparable product says the same thing.

Dr. Scarlett :

Make sure the worm syrup is pyrantel pamoate, too.

Customer:

no worries thanks i will follow up with them tomorrow

Dr. Scarlett :

Good luck!

Customer:

have got them indoors at the moment as it a bit warm outside if you know anyone in western australia looking for a good dog feel free to email me one from the last litter is currently travelling australia

Dr. Scarlett : Can't say I know anyone in Australia, but wish I did. It is a bit cold here these days, and I'd rather be there checking out your pups!
Customer:

ok thanks for all your help rug up!!! i will think of you while im sweating

Dr. Scarlett : Excellent. I'll think of you when I'm not! : )
Customer:

how old can the puppies be before they can be given water if they do start to get a bit hot or do i just let them cool down naturally and feed from mum when they are ready????

Dr. Scarlett : At 2 weeks they should be getting all the water and nutrients they need from mom. Make sure they don't get overheated, but not too cool, either. Around 80F should be about right (sorry, not positive of the C!) Around 4-5 weeks of age they may be able to start drinking water from a bowl.
Customer:

no problem when they come in they usually get put in my laundry room on some of my OLD clothes

Dr. Scarlett : Sounds good. Just wash them well to get rid of the flea eggs!
Customer:

its all good half the time the clothes are ones that i dont wear anymore so they just get chucked out with any old bedding of the dogs whats the best way to stop the father barking at thunder if you know of any????

Dr. Scarlett : That is harder. If it is due to anxiety, you could look for a "Thundershirt" to put on him, which is supposed to help calm dogs down. There is also a DAP collar that can help--Dog Appeasing Pheromone. This is a scent produced by female dogs to calm their pups (so there is already some in your house!). You can also ask your vet about prescribing an anti-anxiety medication to be used just before thunderstorms.
Customer:

not sure what started it he was fine for a while when we fir st got him (we saved him from death row) woud he have started because the dogs over the back did it for a while dont want to put a bark collar on him as he is a great guard dog as we get young kids through the neighborhood occasionally wanting to cause trouble as they go round the streets at night whistling to find out which houses have dogs so i dont want him to stop detering these people

Dr. Scarlett : Sorry, I have no good ideas for you. My own dog barks whenever we open the door, even though he knows it is us, and it drives me bonkers.
Customer:

its all good guess i will just have to ignore him as i have tried to lock him up but am worried he will hurt himself so i might just have to let him go until he wears himself out

Customer:

thank you for all your help better go as the kids are starting to go and sit with the mum and pups not that the mum minds she enjoys he extra attention i think

Dr. Scarlett : Nice chatting with you! Hope you find good homes for them all.
Customer:

should do gave away the first lot but am going to sell these ones at about $50-$100 to get back some of he coss

Customer:

i mean costs!!!

Dr. Scarlett : Sounds reasonable to me! I'll bet they are adorable.
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian

how old do the ups have to be before i can start feeding them tinned puppy food

You can start mixing in some puppy milk formula with canned puppy food around 4-5 weeks of age. They probably won't eat much of it at week 4, but by week 5 they should have a better idea what to do with it. Mom will start weaning them off her milk around week 6 and then they should be eating on their own after that. Dry food can be introduced around week 6, although you will need to moisten it initially.

Sounds like they are all doing well?

yes they are all happy and healthy and starting to try and wander around although they are not too sure about heading out of the kennel yet where would be the best place to get puppy formula from all got fleaed and wormed over the weekend hardest thing is trying to keep the kids out of the kennel

A pet store is most likely to have a high quality puppy food. Stick with good name brands--Science Diet, Iams, Royal Canin, Nutro, etc. Don't feed them something like Alpo or the store brands, if you can help it.

It is ok for the kids (human, I assume?) to handle them some each day, but I imagine constant contact will drive the mom crazy!

mother doesnt seem to mind half the time she is in there with them i think she sees us humans as personal babysitters! i guess she trusts us as we have had her since she was a pup i will follow up with pet shop this weekend as they will be 4 weeks old then and they seem to be losing their puppy belly already

Sounds good. You'll have to try and post a picture--I'd love to see them!

i will try and do that but i am still learning about the additional stuff

thanks for your help

You're welcome!
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian