Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why Are Fatty Tumors On My Dog Rupturing?

Customer Question
My dog's fatty tumors are...

My dog's fatty tumors are bursting. Why is this?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

I would be glad to help you with your question. Has your vet diagnosed these masses as fatty tumors by checking the masses with a needle? Are the masses bleeding? Are the masses bothering Cleo?

Yes been checked... I can squeeze fat and some blood out of the hole... The ones that haven't burst, don't bother her at all. But in the last month she has had at least 8 pops

Thanks for the additional information. If your vet has checked these masses and has determined that these are fatty tumors or lipomas and not a type of sebaceous cysts then the most common disease that would cause this is called Panniculitis. This is not a common disease to see, though this is the most common reason that a fatty mass would open up. Otherwise normal fatty tumors never open up and drain fat or any fluid. I would definitely make sure with your vet that these are not cysts. If by chance these are cysts then antibiotics can be used to treat these cysts that are opening up and draining. You can also use hydrogen peroxide or anti bacterial hand soap to clean these masses. If these are not cysts and definitely fatty masses then I would suspect that Cleo has Panniculitis. Panniculitis is a rare disorder in dogs that can be caused by anything that irritates the fat layer in dogs such as infections, drug reactions, immune system disorders, hormone imbalances in the body or unfortunately even cancer. These disorder usually presents itself as multiple fatty masses that pop up all over the body. Sometimes this disorder can even be very painful to dogs. A biopsy by removing some f the masses is the best way to diagnose this. Bloodwork is also recommended as sometimes pancreas diseases and other organ disorders can lead to this. Treating the underlying cause is the best way to get this disorder to go away, though sometimes an exact cause is hard to find and then treating dogs with cortisone and antibiotic medications is needed. Most dogs actually have a very good prognosis once an underlying cause is determined. At this time I would suggest taking her back to your vet to have a surgical biopsy performed to find out exactly what is going on. Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

He said they could be cysts.. What causes Panniculitis to start? Was going to take her in for an appt... Why are these all of sudden bursting? I have Zymox topical cream.. Would that be good to put on the holes?

Panniculitis has multiple causes unfortunately, but most commonly a immune system disorder such as the immune system attacking the fat cells causes this. That is why many dogs will need to go on cortisone medications for this. These are bursting because most likely there is either an infection in the mass or severe inflammation causing the skin to open up. This is common with Panniculitis.
You definitely can apply the Zymox topical cream though it may not help in the long run. It cannot hurt though.

So what form does this cortisone medication come in? What are the side affects of cortisone?

An oral form of cortisone or prednisone is used to treat this disease. Unfortunately this medication does have side effects such as increased drinking, urinating, and appetite. Some dogs will gain weight when on this medication. What most vets try to do is find the lowest possible dose that seems to treat the disease and minimize the side effects.You are welcome - come back if you have any more questions!

Thanks dr

Here is the best site I can find to help you out more: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/sterile-nodular-panniculitis-in-dogs-and-cats

She's acting normal could a change in feed cause it? Been feeding diamond for awhile beef & rice, lamb & rice... Just those things keep popping that was a good website.. Thanks

I do not think that the food is causing this, though most of the time we may not know exactly what the cause is. If more and more are opening up then cysts would be rare this is most likely Panniculitis.

Cool I'm going to get her in this week...Tired of them popping ... She is too I'm sure... They heal up fine though... Like a cut on me.. So the cortizone will help and they come as pills?

Thanks

Yes most commonly your vet will pick a cortisone called Prednisone and these are available in pills. I still would recommend the biopsy though to make sure that this is Panniculitis. Have a great night.

Thanks again, will do have a great night

You are very welcome!
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian