Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dogs urine was mostly blood with blood clots as well.

my dog's urine was mostly...
my dog's urine was mostly blood with blood clots as well. She has been given antibiotics and pain meds as she has been licking alot
10/25/2011
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM

Dr. Deb :

Hi there, I'm Deb, a licensed veterinarian.

Dr. Deb :

Was there a urinalysis performed recently indicating a urinary tract infection? How is she acting otherwise? Good/normal energy level, eating and drinking normally? Thirst is less, more or normal? What antibiotics is she taking?

Customer:

She is as active as usual, is drinking and eating normally. She is taking clavaseptin 500 mg every 12 hours. SHe seems to have the most difficulty when settling for sleep at night. She sleeps beside me on the bed

Dr. Deb :

Was there a urinalysis performed recently indicating a urinary tract infection?

Customer:

yes, today. THe vet said she had an infection but was more worried about the presence of clots

Dr. Deb :

Were they able to xray her or look at at her bladder with an ultrasound machine in order to rule out any bladder stones or a bladder mass?

Customer:

He did not x-ray her - no ultrasound machine. He said there were no crystals in the urine, and he could not feel any stones manually.

Dr. Deb :

Did they do blood work today to look at her kidney function and white blood cell counts?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

He is concerned about a tumor

Dr. Deb :

The treatment is appropriate... start with antibiotics. You should see improvement within the next 24 hours. Did he say if he saw any abnormal cells (transitional cells) in her urine sample?

Dr. Deb :

I agree, given Tipper Jo's age and symptoms, I would also be worried about a tumor or stones. You can't always feel bladder stones... if they are large enough you can. And, I've seen urine without crystals, but bladder stones present.

Dr. Deb :

Depending on her response to the antibiotics, or if it all resolves and then recurs... I would consider blood work, abdominal xrays, and an ultrasound of her bladder.

Customer:

I will be watching her closely. He didn't say he saw any transitional cells in her sample. That's interesting re no crystals but stones. He explained that stones might be scratching her bladder wall. Ouch! I sure didn't like what I read about bladder tumors. NOt a very good prognosis.

Dr. Deb :

No, bladder tumors don't hold a good prognosis... so let's hope that's not the case. You could try 75 mg (three of the 25 mg tablets or capsules) of Benadryl tonight. That might help her sleep tonight.

Customer:

I will take her for the above tests, especially the ultrasound and blood work if her condition doesn't resolve. She is a very precious girl! Wish our vet fees here were comparable to those in Texas, at least in the S.A. area

Customer:

Can she take benadryl if she has had the Metacam?

Dr. Deb :

Where are you now?

Customer:

Sylvan Lake, AB Canada. And you?

Dr. Deb :

Yes, she can take Benadryl with the Metacam... no problem. Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. So, taking Benadryl with it is sort of like us taking Tylenol PM or something similar.

Customer:

aha

Dr. Deb :

You can try 50 mg first, and give her the 3rd capsule if she's not sleepy enough. Not all dogs get tired on Benadryl, but neither do all humans.

Dr. Deb :

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic United States

Dr. Deb :

I sure hope it's just a urinary tract infection... or stones - those are my choices :-) I had a cat - Arlo - that had bladder cancer.

Customer:

She's been sleeping for about 2 hours now - big day at the vet and car ride etc. I'm in western Canada, not far from the Rocky Mountains

Dr. Deb :

I

Dr. Deb :

I've never been out to the Rockies - someday!

Customer:

o.k. lets go with your choices!

Dr. Deb :

Sounds good to me...

Customer:

I loved S.C. and Georgia - beautiful places. If you ever come this way, e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks for your help

Dr. Deb :

You are so welcome...

Dr. Deb :

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided... if you wouldn't mind clicking on the "accept" icon. I am not compensated for my efforts unless you accept, even if you've made a deposit. The portion of your deposit that I would receive, is not transferred to me unless you accept. Thanks very much...

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, DVM