Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

can I see pictures of dog lice and lice eggs

can I see pictures of dog lice and lice eggs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 5 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I will give you a few examples -- keep in mind though that lice are commonly treated with Frontline very effectively.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Full Size Image

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is an adult -- and can be seen with without magnification -- but the features are more easily seen with a magnifying glass.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Full Size Image

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is a common appearance in a white dog =-= the dark spots are adults --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The eggs are deposited on the hairs -- and are light in color -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Generally -- treatment with Frontline for 2 months will eliminate this infestation - unless your pet is getting reexposed to an infested dog.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Transmit easily from pet to pet --

Customer:

Nothing seems to work and her ears are really red. I clean them and pick the black specks out everyday. Are the eggs tiny tiny, round or oval? I see little pepper specks in her ears around her eyes and around her rectum.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The most common small dark bugs that are seen on dogs are fleas (which jump ) and lice --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If you take the black specks -- place them on a tissue and then drop a drop of water on them -- waut a minute and rub slightly -- do these dark specks bleed out reddish brown ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am wondering if these are either flea dirt --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Or (since they are near the ear) is there a chance of ear mites (which cannot be seen -- but their droppings can ) ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The eggs are barely visible -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

can be more esily seen with mild magnification --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Mites need a skin scraping and microscope to be seen -- and ear mites generally stay in the ear.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Most common forms of these will respond to Revolution topical fleas preventative -- except for demodex mites (which this does not sound like -- as typically this is areas of hair loss) .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The ears may be infected with bacteria and yeast -- which is common - and can give the red inflammed appearance --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

also -- allergies will show up in dogs this way -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is also supported by the licking and biting at her feet -- allergies (atopic dermatitis) will show up this way .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

One other thing -- often a single flea bite can trigger in allergic reaction in a dog that is allergic to flea saliva. This is one of the most common allergies --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Since there are a few possible considerations, a vet visit may give you the best diagnosis so that treatment can be started.