Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I give my dog Tylenol PM?

Can I give my dog Tylenol PM?
10/16/2011
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebeccavet :

Hi JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

How much does William weigh, and what strength Tylenol are you asking about?

Rebeccavet :

What is wrong with William that you want to give him this drug?

Customer:

William weighs about 40lb. I have 500 mg Tylenol PM and 200 mg Ibuprofen PM. I need him to sleep / aka not bark while I go the doctor.

Rebeccavet :

Do NOT give the ibuprofen.

Customer:

Ok thanks.

Rebeccavet :

Neither of these drugs will make him sleep, unless he is not sleeping because of pain.

Customer:

he's not in pain.

Customer:

I just need him to keep quiet while i'm away.

Rebeccavet :

These are anti inflammatory drugs, to reduce pain and inflammation, and do not normally cause drowsiness.

Customer:

I have pink eye and need to go to the doctor.

Customer:

the lat time i left him home alone he barked the whole time and my neighbors were very angry

Customer:

last*

Rebeccavet :

I wish I had that magic drug that will safely make a dog sleep on command; it does not exist. The best is a prescription tranquilizer called "Ace", but you can't get it over the counter.

Customer:

bummer.

Rebeccavet :

You could try a dose of Benedryl. It makes some dogs drowsy, but I can't guarantee he won't bark while you are away.

Customer:

do you have any other suggestions

Customer:

unfortunatly I don't have Benedryl

Customer:

I do have various sinus meds tho

Rebeccavet :

None of these will make a dog that barks because he is anxious about being left alone a quiet dog. Even the Benedryl probably won't work.

Customer:

Ok. I took him to the dog park this morning and wore him out as he's already been sleeping.

Rebeccavet :

As we say in veterinary medicine, a tired dog is a good dog.

Customer:

well that's a good thing .

Rebeccavet :

However, if he has "separation anxiety", leaving him alone is a trigger to become anxious, and bark,

Customer:

Should/can I take him to doctor with me but leave him the car?

Rebeccavet :

If he has separation anxiety, there are prescription medications that help, along with training.

Customer:

i think he definitely doe have separation anxiety

Rebeccavet :

You can leave him in the car if there are windows open, and the car is parked in the shade. He may still bark.

Rebeccavet :

Separation anxiety is best treated with training. You can work with your vet about the best treatment, the training, and if an anti anxiety drug like Clomicalm or even Prozac would help.

Customer:

I had almost rather him bark in the car rather than at my house and disrupt my neighbors.

Customer:

is there anything at a pet store that I can try over the counter?

Rebeccavet :

You could try some of the anti anxiety herbal treatments, like Rescue Remedy or Stress Away.

Customer:

Ok thank you.

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome. Good luck.

Customer:

is there anything that I can do to help him sleep longer too?

Rebeccavet :

Melatonin can be good to help with sleep. You can give 3 to 6 milligrams at bedtime. It is available at "health food stores" and is very safe.

Customer:

ok great.

Rebeccavet :

Any more questions for me?

Customer:

he is actually my Mom's dog and I have him till the 24th

Rebeccavet :

If so please ask.

Rebeccavet :

At least that is only another week!

Rebeccavet :

If you do not have another question, please consider accepting my answer.

Rebeccavet :

That is the only way the website credits me for my advice.

Customer:

thank you for your time

Rebeccavet :

Good luck this next week with William.

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome.

Customer:

thanks.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian