Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2011
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

What is your specific question about the dog?

do i need to take him to a vet?

will he recover on his own?

No other information came through on this end. What is going on with the dog?

oh he had a sore on his leg that he kept chewing.I put on fuciderm and its now fine.at the same time i gave him 10mg amytriptyline to help him sleep and 75mg diclofenac.since then he has been sick a couple of times,last time last night and he did a dark stool last night.

he seems ok in himself

Has he been taking the diclofenac with food?

How long has he been on it?

What did he vomit up?
no he is not prescribed the drugs they were mine.he had the 2 tablets coated in butter after food.he vomited up food on sat and just watery last night.
Diclofenac is not typically used in dogs. It can cause severe stomach ulcers and bleeding into the GI tract. If there has been vomiting and dark stool, both of those things are likely occurring. Kidney and liver damage can also occur. Do not give more. If the symptoms persist the dog should be examined by your vet and blood tests and radiographs will be needed to rule out internal damage.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian