Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Puppy is throwing up white foam and will not eat and seems

Customer Question
lifeless. He hasn't eaten...
Puppy is throwing up white foam and will not eat and seems lifeless. He hasn't eaten in about three days and will not drink any water. He now has dry heaves? Vet not open until tomorrow, is there anything I can do tonight?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/10/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Did Jack get his series of vaccines as a young puppy, parvo virus (8,12,16 weeks)?

Customer:

Hi. I received Jack when he was about 9 months old and took him for his vaccines shortly after.

dogdoc4u :

Did he have a second distemper/ parvo then since? Has Jack gotten into anything, garbage, plants, household items?

Customer:

No he hasn't had anything since. He has been chewing on a rawhide bone and will chew on just about anything he can get in to.

dogdoc4u :

So my first concern by your description is going to be parvo virus. Even with one vaccination he is at risk

dogdoc4u :

Has he had diarrhea? If so, was there blood in it?

Customer:

I haven't noticed any diarrhea. Up until a few days ago everything was fine. He has just stopped eating anything at all and is just laying around.

dogdoc4u :

OK...Second is going to be an obstruction from a toy or something else in the house.

dogdoc4u :

I really would not offer him anything else tonight, even water if he is vomiting it up

dogdoc4u :

Is he able to get up to go outside and go to the bathroom?

Customer:

I haven't seen him go to the bathroom in a couple of days. He is very weak

dogdoc4u :

Is he moving around at all?

Customer:

He will get up and walk for a few minutes and just stand in place and then lay back down. This is a very very hyper dog and this is why it concerns me.

dogdoc4u :

Do you have access to a veterinary emergency? From your description I am concerned he might not make it overnight due to dehydration and weakness...

Customer:

I have tried the number that my local vet had posted on voicemail, but I can't get in touch with anyone. At the moment, he is laying here trying to throw up and is very weak.

dogdoc4u :

OK, where do you live and I can do a local search for options for you...odd that they do not answer as an emergency contact!

Customer:

I live in Ripley, MS 38663

dogdoc4u :

OK, give me a moment

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

dogdoc4u :

What was the emergency contact you were given, was it another vet clinic or a veterinary er?

Customer:

Yes, Holly Springs, MS. XXX-XXX-XXXX

dogdoc4u :

Do you know the name of the clinic, justanswer blocks out phone numbers

dogdoc4u :

Otherwise you can spell the phone number (ways around things)

Customer:

six six two twofivetwo five four five four

dogdoc4u :

OK, please hold

dogdoc4u :

And what is the name of your vet clinic?

Customer:

Animal clinic of Tippah County

dogdoc4u :

What are the closest towns to you...?

Customer:

New Albany, MS

Customer:

Corinth, MS

Customer:

Tupelo, MS

dogdoc4u :

This is the only other clinic listed in your town:

Horton Animal Clinic

2521 County Road 501 Ripley, MS 38663

(662)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

dogdoc4u :

Might be worth calling to see if they have an on call doctor

dogdoc4u :

OK let me look there as well

Customer:

Yes maa'm I will

dogdoc4u :

While you do that I will look for the other locations

Customer:

thanks

dogdoc4u :

Sure

Customer:

No luck with Horton Animal Clinic

dogdoc4u :

How far is Oxford?

Customer:

Thanks for your help, I can look up other Vet #'s in surrounding towns and try to get him to one tonight.

dogdoc4u :

OK, sorry I am doing the best I can not knowing your area

dogdoc4u :

I do think getting him seen tonight is your best option since he is so lethargic

dogdoc4u :

Can I assist you any further tonight? Any other questions I can answer?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian