Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

lorazepam for anxiety/panic in dogs

Customer Question
My dog is a 2...
My dog is a 2 year old, 40-50 pound bull/mixed breed, and he has full-blown panic attacks, including hyperventilation and uncontrollable shaking, when we have to take him anywhere in the car. Our vet prescribed 2-6 mg diazepam po 60" before travel, but we can't find the prescription bottle. I've (rarely) seen vets use lorazepam in dogs, and we have a supply of 2 mg lorazepam tabs. If 0.5 mg/kg is a reasonable dosage (as was stated elsewhere on this site), shouldn't 10 mg (5 tabs) be a good starting point?  (I'm hesitant to give him this much because lorazepam is about five times more potent as diazepam mg-for-mg, in humans at least.)  What level of anxiety relief or even sedation could be expected with this dosage?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/7/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 6 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
I would not use it.
Also, there will be no vet on this site that will approve or even suggest dosing without doing their own physical examination. I am sure you understand. It would be illegal for us to direct on the use of a prescription drug, especially without it having been originally prescribed to him.

We do not use this product in dogs, so really have no good safety studies or dosing to rely on.

Here is some general information about some good anti-anxiety medications:

Dog Anxiety Supplements:
DAP diffuser – Release dog pheromone into the air and can help with stress. You cannot smell it:
DAP Diffuser

Composure Liquid- another supplement that can sometimes be of some benefit for agitated or stressed pets.
Composure Liquid

Rescue Remedy (another popular choice):
Rescue Remedy

Prescriptions:
Xanax
Acepromazine

The alprazolam or acepromazine is the way to go.

Hope that new info helps
Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency.
I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:
http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drandy/
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Incomplete.

May I be of further assistance.

I can't recommend a medication that is not used in veterinary medicine. It is dangerous.

Are you looking for anything you can do right now!

I did dig up this information from a drug handbook:

0.02–0.5 mg/kg
or 0.04mg per pound

Obviously, for legal and liability reasons, I am not recommending you give it, but I must say that since I have not examined your pet and can't vouch for his health before administration of a sedative.

I am sure you understand.

That should do it.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director