Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Ate A Little Bit Of Weed. Will He Be Okay?

My dog ate a little...

My dog ate a little bit of weed. Is he going to be okay?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2011
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hello, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise.
Do you mean Marijuana?

Yes, he is a 7 pound poodle mix. We were outside and I had wasn't really looking at him. When I did notice him, he was chewing something. I pulled it out of his mouth and it looked like a left over marijuana joint. This was around noon today. He has been sleeping most of the evening, but is opening his eyes when I say his name and scratching etc. He just threw up about half an hour ago.
I really don't think he ate very much of it, but I'm just not sure.....

Marijuana toxicity can be fatal but it will be determined on the amount ingested. With appropriate supportive care and monitoring cardiovascular, temperature , fluid, etc. Most dogs will do ok and will survive. But, they need supportive care. Ideally, he should be seen by a veterinarian and placed on supportive care (IV fluids), monitor and address problems as they arise. There is not much you can do for him at home. Do not attempt to give fluids or food orally if sedated. This is dangerous because he will not able to swallow and can inhale into the lungs creating bigger problems. Recovery can last from 1-4 days dependent on the amount consumed. I would highly recommend to consider having him checked by ER veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

To be very honest with you, I'm concerned about the veterinary bill at this time - emergency services especially will be expensive and I'm not sure I'm able to afford that treatment for him. Another owner at the dog park also saw what happened and agreed that it was only the leftovers of a joint and not an entire one. The amount consumed would have had to have only been a tiny bit.

If I do keep him at home tonight, can I feed him water if he's awake? I'd like to keep an eye on him myself if its possible and only take him in if he gets any worse. What signs would I look for of him becoming more ill?

I do understand your financial concerns. Going to ER can be expensive.

If he is fully awake and walking he can have water and food. But, if he is sleepy you are better off to leave him without food or water.
Monitor his temperature; the normal temperature in a dog is 99.5-102.5 F.
To take a rectal temperature this is what you can do:
1- Lubricate thermometer tip with ky jelly, vaseline or soap and water.
2- Insert in rectum about 1 inch and gently press tip up against rectal wall.
3- Wait a minute or until it beeps.
4- If temperature is below 99.5 F you need to get it up. Place warm towels under arm pits, foot pads, around his body. Continue to check temperature every 15 minutes until normal.
5- If temperature is above 102.5 F you need to get the temperature down. Place cool towels under the arm pits around the foot pads. Continue to take his temperature every 15 minutes until normal.

Keep an eye at his gums, make certain they are light pink. If they become pale it is a sign of decrease cardiac out put or decrease blood pressure, at that point strongly recommend to have ER vet stabilize.

Monitor his respiration: Count his breaths (1 in and 1 out = 1 breath). Normal is 10-30 breaths per minutes. Anything above or below that range can be an indication of problem.

Monitor his heart rate or pulse: Normal is 60-180 beats per minute. Anything above or below these limits can be an indication of problem.

Best of Luck.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Thanks Doctor. I actually just gave him a bit of water which he greedily lapped up.....He walked downstairs with me to go to the bathroom as well and seems to be reviving a little of his energy. I will keep an eye on him and monitor him closely for all the symptoms you described.

What a great service and site. I appreciate the tips and will make sure I'm more aware of what the little guy puts in his mouth!

That is a really good sign!!!!

Your welcome.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian