Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is biting her tail and yelping and whining while doing

Customer Question
it. She also seems to...
My dog is biting her tail and yelping and whining while doing it. She also seems to be scratching other areas and licking herself alot.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your questions.

Have you seen fleas on her?

What medication was used to get rid of the fleas?

Is Tipper chewing/licking at her paws?

Are you seeing any sores/redness on her tail?

How much does she weigh?

Were her glands full?
I have not seen fleas, she was de-flead at the vets with Advantage, she is not chewing her paws. I do not see redness on her tail, though she has alot of hair and the hair is very wet. She weighs 9lbs and yes her glands were full but not infected. She is whining even when not scratching but is acting like something is driving her crazy. She has always been a very quiet, mild mannered puppy and she is absolutley not acting like herself. Something is really bothering her. It is constant yelping and tail chewing.
Thanks for the reply.

Based on what you are describing, there are two main possibilities for her excessive itching - an allergy to fleas or an allergy to environmental pollens, trees, grasses, etc.

I do not believe that the advantage did not help. Most likely it worked fine if she ever did have any fleas. The problem with a flea allergy is that only one flea has to bite a dog for them to get extremely itchy. Therefore even if no fleas were seen, does not rule out a flea allergy. Dogs are allergic to the saliva of a flea and that is why even if the fleas are gone she may still itch. The areas she is most itchy is common to flea allergies.

The other allergy is just as common and can cause just as sever of itchiness. Some dogs can be allergic to pollens and such in the air which causes them to chew and scratch at their skin all over the body. The only problem with this type of allergy is that her itching may last a lot longer until the pollen levels have gone down.

For either allergy I would recommend giving her some Benadryl to help with the itchiness. Her very safe dose would be 9 mg of the liquid children's Benadryl or 3.75 cc every 12 hours.

Since she is so miserable with her itching - I hope the Benadryl helps. If you do not see any improvement after a couple of days, you should take her back to your vet for some stronger medication to give her relief. I would also recommend treating her with the advantage every month for the next 3-4 months to make sure the fleas do not reinfest her if they were ever present.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.
Thank-you! I did buy some children's Benadryl and i gave her 1ml? I wasn't sure of the dosage in ml but for children under 2 it said 2.5ml? That was an hour ago and it seems to have helped a little bit. She is also panting very heavily and has not settled down all day. She must be exausted. Could it be a diet allergy? She is on the Medi-Cal Vegetarian for having two uti's. She also finished her second dose of antibiotics last Saturday, could that have anything to do with anything?
Her dosage of Benadryl would be 3.75 cc or 3.75 ml. If you wanted to start with 2.5 ml, you could though this dose may not help as much.

A food allergy is also possible, though I normally do not see dogs itch this much with just a food allergy. The food she is on should eliminate most of the allergens that dogs can have such as Chicken, beef, and other proteins.

An allergic reaction to an antibiotic is also possible, but once the antibiotic is stopped she should stop itching and go back to normal.

I would keep her on the Benadryl every 12 hours to see if this will finally give her some relief. If this helps slightly, but not enough to keep her comfortable ask your vet about a stronger medication for itching.

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian