Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

MY DOG HAS A VERY RED RASH AROUND HIS GROIN AREA AND UNDER

Customer Question
HIS FRONT LEGS. HE...
MY DOG HAS A VERY RED RASH AROUND HIS GROIN AREA AND UNDER HIS FRONT LEGS. HE KEEPS ITCHING AND WE KEEP STOPPING HIM. BUT OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS ITS TURNED BLACK IN AREAS. HE IS A VERY LARGE GERMAN SHEPHERD, 9 YEARS OLD AND IN VERY GOOD HEALTH APART FROM THIS. HE HAS HAD THE RASHES BEFORE AND WE TOOK HIM TO THE VETS, IT WAS A REACTION TO DOG SHAMPOO AND HE HAD A BATH A FEW WEEKS AGO SO IM THINKING ITS THE SAME. THE THING IS HE WONT GET IN THE CAR AND HE HATES THE VETS. IS THERE A WAY A CAN TREAT HIM AT HOME OR IF THE VET WOULD GIVE ME SOMETHING IF I RANG HIM, I COULD COLLECT AND TREAT HIM AT HOME.

THANK YOU

ANN
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is he itching other areas?

Hi

No, he is licking and biting more than scratching. The areas under his from front legs are raised and have swollen so they look like lumps and they are scabbed over. When you look closure it looks like some of the black areas are under the skin and they are the size of a small coin. He is fine in himself, his hair around the area is still there. He is eating fine and his poo is fine. Because he his a big dog and the weather is warm, I think he is a bit uncomfortable underneath and it makes him itch more.

What are describing is an acral lick granuloma, which is a localized skin infection made worst by licking. The black coloration is called hyperpigmentation and it is caused by inflammatory cells releasing melanin (dark pigment); the black color is not harmful, it is a consequence of chronic inflammation; it will not go away. This is what you can do:

1- First thing is to stop him from licking or it is never going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store. Have him wear the ecollar until those lesions heal.

2- Wash the area twice a day with an antibacterial soap. If you can request from your vet, chlorhexiderm solution even better. Use the chlorhexiderm twice a day to clean the affected areas.

3- After washing as above, apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this twice a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- For the itch you can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg per pound body weight every 12 hours.

5- If no significant improvement in 2-3 days, have him checked by your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian