Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

In the last 2 weeks or so my dogs head has become very bony

In the last 2 weeks or so my dogs head has become very bony and misshapen. The top of her head is bony and pointed. You can feel her cheek bones and her head seems almost sunken in. Her appetite is great and she still plays with her toys so everything else seems fine.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is she having trouble opening or closing her mouth?
2- Is she drinking more than usual?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She had a stroke back in mid July. Her mouth was open pretty far then but now it's finally back to normal. She's drinking about the same as always.

She chews her bones and her tennis balls and her mouth seems fine now.

The bones of her skull are becoming more pronounced because the muscles of her forehead are atrophy (smaller). The reason why they atrophy could be from autoimmune disorders (body attacking the muscles), loss of nervous input to the muscle secondary to neurological disorders or tumors, problems with the temporomandibular joint, etc. to name a few causes.
Treatment is dependent on underlying cause. In this case the recommendation is a hands on examination by your veterinarian, +/- xrays of the TM joint. If it is found to be auto immune, consider placing her on a diet free of gluten, soy, corn and casein (dairy); these ingredients are being linked to auto immune diseases. There are several diet on the market that are free of the above ingredients like Taste of Wild or California Natural. Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter