Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 yrs experience as a small animal veterinarian; 21 yrs exp. in the animal care field
883989

Do they make portable oxygen tanks/masks for dogs for home

Do they make portable oxygen tanks/masks for dogs for home use. I have a mini-poodle almost 17 yrs old with heart failure. I hear him struggle to breath and cough alot. I was hoping to make him more comfortable. Am I crazy-they have them for people so why not doggies?
Thank-you,
Jackie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet help replied 6 years ago.
Yes, they do make such a thing but they are not readily available.
Fire departments have been using them for several years to help revive pets that have suffered from smoke inhalation.
The masks themselves should be easy enough to get, but you would need to speak to your veterinarian about getting the oxygen tank. This might be a little more tricky since this is not something that is routinely done by veterinarians. There are significant risks to home oxygen use- namely, explosion and fire- and I think most veterinarians would be a bit leery about allowing some clients to assume that responsibility. Since the oxygen must be prescribed by Remy's doctor, this is a conversation you would need to have with your veterinarian.

You should also discuss making modifications to Remy's Lasix dose, as well as perhaps adding a second diuretic such as spironolactone. Together, they may control the fluid build-up a bit better.
If he is not already, Remy should be on a medication called Pimobendan. This is a drug that has been clinically proven to improve longevity and quality of life in dogs suffering from congestive heart failure.
An ACE-inhibitor such as enalapril is also recommended for dogs with heart disease.