Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How do I treat Razor burn or Clipper burn in my female dogs

Customer Question
lower extremities after a day...
How do I treat Razor burn or Clipper burn in my female dogs lower extremities after a day at the groomers?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert: Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I am so sorry to hear this has happened -- and there are several things you can do .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

1) Hydrocortisone cream applied to the area

Dr. BJ Hughes :

2) Bendryl to decrease intching --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

you can use this human over the counter med if you dog is healthy

Dr. BJ Hughes :

3) Stop the licking -- use of an ecollar (lampshade) to prevent licking is necessary in some cases.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Occasionally -- oral steroids or triamcinolone cream (prescription) is needed --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

usually if you can get the itching under control with the hydrocortsone cream and benedryl -- then the licking will decrease with symptoms.

Customer:

What if she licks off the creams?

Customer:

Will they make her sick. She is a healthy 4 year old cockapoo.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You will need to prevent all licking -- the licking will cause more problems -- so anything from staying with her, to using an ecollar

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hydrocortisone cream in small amounts is not harmful -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Here is a link on use of benedryl in dogs -- including side effects and dosage,

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So the ingestion of the cream is not harmful -- but the licking leads to more skin trauma and increased chance of infection.

Customer:

Thank you. We will give these methods a try.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Using a cold compress can also help decrease the inflammation for a short time -

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome -

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

• Get a Professional AnswerVia email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.