Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I noticed today that my dogs pads on his feet have turned yellow.

Customer Question
Do you know what this...
I noticed today that my dogs pads on his feet have turned yellow. Do you know what this is??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Do the pads seem to be inflamed or painful for him to walk on?

Do they seem to be more hardened or smooth?

Does he tend to walk around on concrete a lot?

They don't seem painful... some of the pads are normal color....but the others are very yellow... doesn't walk on concrete a lot

Thanks. I have just a couple more questions for you.

Do the yellow paw pads seem more hardened, dry or crusty? Does their surface feel more smooth?

dry and crusty...surface is smooth
Thanks for the information. The dry and crusty paws may be the start of a condition called hyperkeratosis or chronic wear on the paws. If he doesn't walk on concrete often, it may have resulted from a recent exposure to very hot concrete that caused burns on the pads. With hyperkeratosis, you may even seen some cracking of the pads. This is best treated with a moisturizer (check with your nearest major pet store). Be careful you are not using harsh chemicals to clean floors. Sometimes these can cause issues if they walk on them soon after application. An organic floor cleaner may help best. If he licks at the paws often due to an allergy, it can cause these signs. A bacterial or yeasts infection can create that crusting and color change and may be secondary to chronic licking. An immune mediated disease (body's immune system reacts against itself) is possible, but that normally occurs starts at the toe nail beds. Lastly, he may have a zinc deficiency. That can sometimes cause the crusting and color change. Most of these conditions would probably not be very painful for him, but I would have your vet check him out because it may progress. Some routine bloodwork, including zinc levels may be necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian