Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I do for my dog upset stomach Yorkshire terrier

Customer Question
What can I do for...
What can I do for my dog' upset stomach? Yorkshire terrier for last 2 days
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/15/2011
Dog Veterinarian: Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian replied 6 years ago
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. If you are seeing vomiting of bile, it may be worth trying a 1/4 tablet of pepcid AC or tagament twice daily. This will reduce stomach acid and could help the vomiting. You can also use a teaspoon of maalox an hour after the pepcid to help soothe the GI tract.
If diarrhea is the main issue, you can use a 1/4 tablet of immodium AD twice daily. This can help firm up the stools and help with the urgency to go. it can also help to support hydration and nutrition with a 50/50 mix of pedialyte and water especially if he is not eating.
If he is eating you can offer some boiled chicken and white rice. If these tricks are not helping, then a vet visit is probably warranted for more aggressive therapy. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
He is eating chicken and rice, so he is hungry, but diarrhea still continues, he is taking medicine, should i be worried if it doesnt stop after 2 days?
If he seems to be acting okay, I am not worried about major problems. However, if his overall condition worsens or this is not clearing up in a couple days, then a vet visit is probably worth your while. I hope this helps.
Jeff
He seems to be fine, acting as usual, so just trying to keep him hydrated for now is enough? Thanks for the help
I would continue to keep him hydrated, feed him the chicken/rice and use the immodium. If you do end up with a vet visit, bring a stool sample to have a parasite screening even though this is likely more of a case of colitis. I hope this helps.
jeff
One last question, what are the chances of them actually dehydrating?
If they are drinking pretty well, it is not overly common to see significant hydration. However, if they are not drinking a lot and they are expelling a lot of liquid in the stools, it can happen. I see it more of an issue if vomiting is involved, because thsse dogs tend to not eat and drink as well. I hope this helps.
Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian