Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My soon to be 13 year old male Cairn Terrier was diagnosed

My soon to be 13 year old male Cairn Terrier was diagnosed with a bladder infection over a month ago, and has just finished a 4 week course of antibiotics. He is still urinating very frequently, to the point that I am occasionally using a belly band on him, so that he won't urinate in the house. I had it on him for an hour today, while I went to the store. When I got home and removed it, he had urinated a little, but there where some little lumps that I thought might be stones. They were still wet, and crumbled easily when touched. They had a chaulky look when crumbled. Could this be bladder stones? I've never seen them up closed and personally before! I'm on vacation for this next week and am now wondering if I should take him home to our vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Bladder stones are certainly possible, as they are a common cause of bladder problems in dogs, and they are a common source of bladder infections in dogs. I would definitely recommend getting Harry into a veterinarian and having X-rays (or ultrasound) of the bladder done to check for stones. If stones are present, surgery may be needed to remove them. Sometimes a prescription urinary diet may help to dissolve stones, but it doesn't always work.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave